Friday, 3 March 2017

That's a lot of horse flesh

I didn't like the basing on my cavalry figures (4 on a 40mm x 20mm base), as they were. I was able to use about only half of what I have painted in my Blucher games (my preferred Napoleonic rule set) also 8 figures to a unit was somewhat anaemic looking. My first thought was re-base just some figures on 20mmx20mm bases and add make new cavalry sabot to hold the 60mmx 40mm cavalry units, then thought to my self why not just re-base them all on bases the same size as my infantry and I can then use my infantry sabot for both my cavalry and infantry units.

Here is the end result of 5 days.

All my painted cavalry.

British and Portuguese cavalry

Austrian cavalry

Finally the French cavalry

I still cant use it all though. When I originally started (with Napoleon's Battle) my main cavalry unit size was 16 figures and I am using just 12 for Blucher, but still looks better than 8.

Old based cavalry in cavalry sabot
New based cavalry in infantry sabot

Gratuitous close up
 While I was taking the pictures I decided to see if there is any difference in the quality of my painting. One of the units below I painted 25+ years ago and the other one a mere 2 years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment