Friday, 20 September 2013

Yet more 28mm Soviets

Second sprue of Plastic Soldier Company's Soviet infantry in Summer uniform, done.

Half of them base coated, I also swapped out a head on the Prone LMG with one from my box of Warlord Games Soviet infantry.

The other half of them base coated, I also swapped out an arm on the Pointing guy on the far left with one from my box of Warlord Games Soviet infantry.

Finished rifle men

Finished SMGers

Another medic and two officers playing the blame game.

Light Machine-gunners.

For some armored punch I bought a Warlord Games T34/85, built it and its mostly painted, needs a bit of weathering and decals applied.

When I textured the bases for the second sprue, I figured I may as well do the next batch since I had the spackle out.

Don't worry the pinkness goes away when its completely dry

Friday, 13 September 2013

More 28mm Soviets

This time from Plastic Soldier Company.

I decided I want to build as little of my Soviet army as possible and as an added bonus the PSC stuff is less expensive and contains more figures, just less variety in poses. Some gluing of figures was required but a lot less than the Warlord Games figs.

I decided rather than do them all at once, I would do one sprue at a time (19 figures).

First I base coated them.
Base coated in Vallejo dark Yellow, I just brushed it on.

5 hours (over several evenings) later and they were done.

Sub-machine gunners

Medic and two officers

Two Light machine gun teams, one prone and one not.


Wednesday, 11 September 2013

28mm ww2 Soviets

That's right I have been working on 28mm Soviets.

I decided to build a Soviet army in 28mm because no one else I game with uses 1/72nd, so if I want to play with others and not supply both sides, I have to go up in scale. It also allows me play in several an upcoming Bolt Action tournaments.

I started with a box of Warlord Games Bolt Action Soviets infantry, I figured 40 figures for $45 was a good deal, except 15 of them are winter gear, while the other 25 are in Summer. I built the guys in summer kit (a real P.I.T.A. that was) badly, and painted them.

I wish I had done a couple of different poses for the prone figures, like spotting.

I also picked up a Warlord games T34/85 and ordered a box of Plastic Soldier Company Soviet Infantry and West Wind Productions Maxim MG team through the Game Chamber. Then I saw Woodrow's War Store was having a sale so I got a box of PSC Soviet Heavy Weapons and a box of PSC Soviet 45mm Anti tank guns, I wasn't going to get them, cause they aren't great poses, but at that price (75% off) I figured What The Hell.

Friday, 30 August 2013

Catching up again

Catching up with recent doings

I've been busy doing War gaming related things, just lackadaisical with keeping the blog up to date on those doings.

I am going to be running a Napoleonic game for my local group in September so I thought I should do some work on them, I've not used them in quite a while.

First thing I decided on was getting some resin buildings, to replace the paper ones I used, A quick check of E-bay and I found a dozen, at a price I could stomach. here they are, partially painted, some of the buildings are comically small, but I'll use them anyway.

Then I decided its time to re-base my infantry, I have been meaning to do it for years. The rules systems I've been using lately, the numbers of figures on the base is irrelevant, only number of bases matter, and I think they would look better 3 to a base instead of 4 and as bonus it would make my armies bigger. The original bases were number 27 illustration board that I cut in to roughly 15x20 cm rectangles, I decided to get some wooden laser cut bases. I looked at Litko, saw their prices and looked elsewhere, I came across a company called and they also had something called dice frames that I had heard of but hadn't been able to find and they also sell bases. I ordered from them. I got more bases then I would have from Litko for 2/3 the price, the downside their bases are 2mm MDF vs. Likto's 3mm plywood.

Dice frames, mounted onto 25mm circular bases with one of the red dice I ordered.

Bases come in 30 -20 bases per bag and each bag costs an English pound, roughly $1.50 Canadian.
The order also came with these, they were full until I based some French and Anglo-Portugues

French Infantry
French Command stands

Anglo-Portuguese infantry,with some British Rifles (skirmishers) in front

British Command Stands

Doh! this is what happens when you re-base several hundred figures in one go.
After I had enough of working on the 6mm buildings I needed a change.

I decided I would do WW2 in a new scale, because the new game here is Bolt Action, and everyone has 28mm armies. Also those who don't play BA use 28mm, I think Greg and I are the only people in town that do WW2 in 1/72nd scale.

20 Heroes of the motherland

Plus 5 not so heroic soldiers.

Now that those figures are painted, its time to get back to preparing for my 6mm game.

Sunday, 14 July 2013

WIP: Painting 6mm Austrian Infantry part 2

The first batch of Austrian infantry is done, except for the sealer/clear coat.

They look pretty good when viewed at arms length (which is how they usually are looked at), but not so much during an extreme close up.

Sunday, 30 June 2013

Gallery 6mm Napoleonic Officers

I use the officers as required, so they are nationality neutral (as much as possible)

Adler are the manufacturer.

3 figure base for C-in-C, 2 figure base for Corps, Column or Wing commanders

Divisional officers

Gallery 6mm French

Here is my French army, mostly painted at the same time as my British.

Adler is the manufacturer.

I now know that that the gun carriages should not be brown.

All my French infantry.

Line Infantry

Light infantry

Old Guard units

French Foreign units

Dutch and Polish.

Light and Horse artillery units, painted at different times as the unifiorm colour shows.

Mostly heavy foot batteries